Sunday, August 22, 2010

"A push is as good as a shove"

I was asked this week regarding the progress of my Drill Table. It was moving along very slowly, I am happy the fellow asked thanks BH you gave me the nudge I needed. A few weeks ago I cut another piece of Melamine sheet 12mm thick to suit the underside of the main table.
I  cut out the centre to allow it to fit around the cast steel table this will help in positioning it.

I drilled three 8mm holes 40mm from the edge and used epoxy to secure in 3 8mm coach bolts, with heads flush to the surface. I used a Forstner bit to create the hole for the head first then drilled the 8mm hole for the shaft of the bolt. The two pieces of Melamine were then glued together ( I used liquid nails for this), clamped for a few days to dry.


I had some 3mm x 25mm flat steel which I cut 3 x 75mm long, drilled a 10mm hole in each 13mm in from one end, then 15 mm in from the other end I rough bent to 90deg to form an L. These will be the holding clamps for the table top. So I don't ruin the centre when drilling through and so it can be used as a Bobbin Sander, I cut out a 100mm dia section using a hole saw. This is a sacrificial piece and I can make as many replacements as I need.





Fitted at last and it can now be used the knobs are from the hold down clamps I got from McJings (I have to go get three more to replace them) . The fence is made and only needs the the brackets fitted.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Trendy Weekend & Ornamental Turning


 This past weekend 13th, 14th & 15th August was the opening of Trend Timbers new timber yard complex at Mulgrave Windsor NSW. The Ornamental Turners Group of Australia is sponsored by Trend and the members attended doing demonstrations of ornamental turning. I had the opportunity to use Les's Rose Engine on the Saturday and Sunday as he had headed to the Gold Coast away from the winter winds. David Laird had set up the first platter approx 210mm dia Dave another member started it off and I was able to finish it a rope style edge flower style centre. The centre cuts didn't line up so I re-worked the centre and inserted a piece of Huon Pine.

The 2nd piece also NSW Rosewood was a little different to the normal ornamental turning instead of using a cutter shaped to a point and used in cutting head, we used a drilling attachment and a milling type cutter much like a router bit. My own Rose Engine is in the process of being built its only taken 3 years so far.