Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Sheppach Bassato 4 Bandsaw Upgrade

Although I think the Sheppach Bandsaw is excellent for my use, I have never liked the Bassato 4 rear blade guides. I have had to replace one set already, they do not always spin and as you'll see from the top one damage it can be damn dangerous.
Below are the two rear guides. the left was the top guide and as can be seen the blade has been cutting into it as it has not been spinning. While the lower one has been wearing as it should.

Left the top guide Right lower guide
The danger from this could be that if both guides have grooves cut in and as they are mounted on opposite sides if one or both spin and the blade is in the groove if either or both the blade will break.
 
Below is the brass shaft which the rear guides mount into.

I was cutting some Magnolia small blocks about 6" x 1" when the sound started it was metal on metal. I stopped the saw and investigated yet couldn't find anything. Restarted and tried again. yet again the sound began enough volume to worry Sue. On second investigation it became obvious that the rear blade guide had become badly damaged as the blade had cut grooves and the side of teeth of the blade were hitting the lower protection guard below the table.

I have no idea why so much went wrong so quick there had been no wrong use or previous damage noted. There was no injury or major damage to me or the bandsaw that was Friday late afternoon.

After acquiring two new bearings ordering a new blade all on Monday morning early, it has taken a day to resolve the issue and upgrade. Mostly due to myself (this weather is effecting movement and my hands). Machining the brass shaft for the upgrade and awaiting a new 3tpi bi-metal blade from Henry Bros. Of course a re-adjustment of set up and test cuts all is quiet again.

 The NSK sealed bearing has a outer 26mm dia and a 10mm inner.

 Oops I didn't take a photo of the machining procedure sorry about that.
I machined the brass shaft to accommodate the bearing, a press fit on both.
  
View of the lower guide and mounting
 Upper and lower new bearings fitted and re-installed. I used a .006" feel gauge for clearance between the side guides and the blade top and bottom.


 I'll take a photo of the rear guide clearance and add it.

It will be only time and use that will tell of the wear and benefits of having done this, I'll report back on the results.


Here's the top bearing photo side view I adjusted the gap after taking the photo.



The results of cutting the Magnolia today were excellent a deep cut of 160mm clean, no burning, no blade marks, square and true cuts achieved.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Bolt Action Pens with Wenge

I received a commission to make two Bolt Action Gun Metal pens using Wenge the timber supplied by the gent. I had never turned the timber before interesting material to work. 

Sue has collected the shavings to see if she can use it to dye wool with.

Updated 2nd February
Due to quality of photos taken Sue took new ones hope these are better as we feel they are.







 


These are the Black Ops from this post










Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Urgent Fix and Appologies

I had an urgent repair to do, even though it took me two weeks to get round to doing it, for I was lost without it.

It meant a lot to me and the stand in just wasn't the same it left a terrible bitter taste in my mouth.

Twelve months ago for my birthday Nathan and Bianca two of my grand children gave me a Thermos mug for the workshop. It was used every day for my morning cuppa, able to keep it hot for at least an hour or more.

That was until I knocked off the top of the tool box and broke the handle off.  The handle is ok its the plastic shroud that broke where the handle is mounted.

So to Nathan and Bianca I apologise as I loved my mug.
 

BUT 

I knew a fix was in need! Should I epoxy it or fix it like new.

The broken part was the plastic shroud and where it broke just wasn't going to allow an easy repair with epoxy.

So Poppy did the next best thing I made a new shroud turned out of Camphor Laurel,  left some bark inclusion for character not realising that there is a Bears face formed due to the knot.

It is sealed internal and external with Timberlac a nitrocellulose lacquer glued with epoxy at the lower joint and internal base and pressed fit into the top.

No need for a handle as it only got in the way.  
Had my first cuppa in it again today and its as good as new.


Can you see the Bear


Monday, January 13, 2014

Sierra Stylus Pens

First pens for 2014 a selection of timbers
Timbers are:-
English Oak, Tassie Blackwood, Moroccan Ebony, Beefwood x2, Mallee Burl.






A couple of acrylics with NSW Police logo these are a one off for family and friends in the force or who have been. The logo's are specially made by Hunter valley Custom Pens Ian also turns the blanks the Perl white is supplied by him I had got the blue acrylic off Simonatra pens a while ago.


 Gold and Gun Metal pen kits supplied by 043turning